Please bring your cute little dudes in their Halloween duds! I so want to see them in their dress ups! This will be my last Halloween with them before I retire November 17! Halloween is a great time to teach babies a lot of new sounds, BOO and WHOOOO , and ROAAR, and all about pumpkins and owls and black cats. B o o k s: Peek-A-Boo by Marie Torres Cimarusti Owl Babies by Martin Waddell. I used 3 little beanie baby owls and a big owl puppet and shortened the text. Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate. The first one said, "Oh, my it's getting late" The second one said, "There are witches in the air." The third one said, "But we don't care." The fourth one said, "Let's run, let's run!" The fifth one said, "Isn't Halloween fun?" Then Woooooo went the wind And OUT went the lights. And five little pumpkins rolled out of sight. I like to do this as a puppet show with 5 pumpkins, tipping them off the stage at the en...
Books Silly Faces See Me...Go! This dopey board book has a big opening in the middle so that as I turn the pages (Flying on a plane is fun! I can fly high in the sky!) I can hold it up to toddler faces for a little audience participation. Beep Beep by Petr Horacek The Babies on the Bus by Karen Katz. The babies on the bus bounced, cried, slept and waved goodbye! Usually I don't vary the favorites with this group because the babies love repetition so much more than originality or a challenge, but Karen Katz, as usual, was right on target. Toot Toot Beep Beep by Emma Garcia. Sounds + types of vehicles + colors = perfect storytime starter. This year I used it at the end of the book, rolling different colored cars down a ramp I made from a half sheet of foam board. Moo! by David Larochelle. Even though this is my all time favorite, and everyone listens, I don't think the babies get the irony. Diggers Go by Steve Light. ...
As if there weren't enough grasshoppers and ants and beetles in our lives already... Books My Bug Book by Melissa Stewart, a board book. Just the right choice of the most familiar bugs. Great pix. Butterfly, Butterfly by Petr Horacek. VERY small group (it was raining, so I sat right with them and they took in every page. Very Lonely Firefly by Eric Carle. I did this using a very small but powerful flashlight in the disco light box, turning off the lights first (It's night!) At the end, I turned on my disco lights for the cloud of fireflies and that was a nice hit. I did shorten the book to just the animals. And rephrased a bit: after I turned the disco lights on, it was a firefly party! Bounce by Daniel Kirk . An enormous board book about a pretty cute... baby spider . Very Hungry Caterpillar Not available 2015 by Eric Carle, of course. I had the big book, the puppets, and the story cards. I didn't attempt audience participation...
Comments
Post a Comment