Monkey Storyhour


We were MONKEYING around during monkey storytime today!
Puppet:  Monkey puppet with a pretty cute VL poem:

There was a little monkey
Who lived in a tree
He was pretty cute
He was as cute as can be!
      He gobbled up bananas
      He gobbled up bugs
      But he was such a lovin’ monkey
      He liked to give hugs!
He hugged all the babies.
He hugged all their (dads &) moms.
Then he got shy and said “eee eee eee eee.”
And ran up the coconut palm!
My monkey puppet went around the audience gobbling and hugging.
Book:  Big Book of 10 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, which I cut down to 5 little monkeys.
The Itsy Bitsy Monkey climbed up the coconut tree.
Down came a COCONUT and BOPPED  her on the knee.
OUT came a lion shaking a great big mane
And the Itsy Bitsy Monkey climbed up the tree again.
click to see youtube performance
Book: Jazzy in the Jungle by Lucy Cousins.  I skipped a teeny tiny bit, but this extra big, extra bright book, with its fun die-cut pages, was a major hit just as it was.
Book: From Head to Toe by Eric Carle.  The great Eric Carle gave me and the babies a chance to pretend we were gorillas, snakes, and crocodiles, and let me tell you, I am a pretty terrifying gorilla.
Book:  Do Monkeys Tweet? by Melanie Walsh. You wouldn't think that the babies would get Ms. Walsh's heavy sarcasm, but if I did enough double-takes, they spotted the silliness in this book of mixed up animal sounds.
Songs: We sang lotsa favorites. I got rid of the easel, yay!!!! I'm hanging the songs from a clothesline waaaaaay above those eager little toddlers' heads.
Oh, and thanks to the mom who gave me a great tip about playing a bell before Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.  Nothing like watching ten babies stop what they're doing and all look up at you at the same time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ms. Travis Valentine's Day List

A Bundle of Babies today

Song Book Storytime, Wednesday, August 2 @ 10:30